There epoxy resin it is an innovative material that is increasingly used in various sectors. In fact, it has very particular and advantageous technical characteristics.
In this article we explain what it is, what are its advantages and the uses that can be made of it.
Contents of this Page
- 1 Epoxy resin: what it is
- 2 Two-component epoxy resin
- 3 Epoxy resin: advantages
- 4 Epoxy resin: disadvantages
- 5 Epoxy resin: uses
- 6 Epoxy resin for floors
- 7 Transparent epoxy resin
- 8 Colored epoxy resin
- 9 Epoxy resin and wood
- 10 Epoxy resin on what does not attack
- 11 Where to buy
- 12 Is it toxic?
- 13 Is it waterproof?
- 14 Other
Epoxy resin: what it is
Epoxy resin is a two-component, thermosetting liquid polymer with reaction at room temperature. Its formulation includes 2 agents:
- the base liquid resin, component A
- the hardener, component B
A and B are mixed together according to a ratio indicated by the individual manufacturer and give rise to polymerization, i.e. they solidify creating a glossy vitrified layer.
In practice, it is a liquid product which, when mixed with a hardening agent at a temperature of about 10 ° -15 °, solidifies.
Two-component epoxy resin
Since, as just explained, it is obtained by mixing two different components, the resin (component A) and the hardener (component B), it is also called biocomponent resin.
Epoxy resin: advantages
In recent years the use of epoxy resin has greatly increased both for its positive properties and for the fact that it can be used in many fields, not only the industrial one, but also in the world of art and DIY ( eg model making).
Here are summarized the advantages of this innovative material:
- strong adhesive power on practically any material
- good dimensional stability
- zero solvents
- very high strength
- insensitive to shocks
- high abrasion resistance
- no cracking (if the substrate is well prepared)
- good resistance to acids
- high electrical insulation properties
- hardly flammable in the liquid state
- low shrinkage during drying
- high resistance to atmospheric agents
- high density (about 1.2 grams per cubic centimeter)
Epoxy resin: disadvantages
Like any material, epoxy resin is not free from disadvantages which, however, compared to the advantages, are very few and unimportant.
- Resistance to light and UV radiation not 100% guaranteed
- Not 100% resistant to highly concentrated acids
- The removal procedure is a bit long
- In its liquid state, in direct contact with the skin, it can cause allergies and skin rashes
Epoxy resin: uses
Given its excellent qualities, it is used in many areas. Primarily to create excellent flooring, but also for restoration and building recovery interventions. Thanks to the ease of processing, it is also often used to create objects of launch type (lamps and tables), for electrical insulation and for structural applications in the nautical, automotive and aeronautical sectors.
The transparent one is also increasingly used in the world of design for interior coverings, in particular in the bathroom, and also for the creation of three-dimensional design objects.
We summarize below the uses of epoxy resin:
- floor in any living environment
- garage floor
- floor shower tray
- stone carpets inside and out
- lature of surfaces (e.g. kitchen worktop)
- renovations and repairs
- model making
- synthetic resin castings
- terrariums and aquariums
- gelcoat and topcoat in boat building
Epoxy resin for floors
The most common use made of it is the creation of resistant and long-lasting industrial floors.
But the industrial environment is not constrained, this material can in fact be used to pave even small and residential areas.
The epoxy resin flooring results:
- completely waterproof
- resistant to any load
- resistant to chemicals
- easy to clean
- perfectly leveled
- aesthetically satisfying and flawless
- free of joints and joints
The epoxy resin is also compatible with radiant floor systems, thus ensuring thermal conductivity.
In case of renovation of the flooring, it is not necessary to remove the old resin, it can be safely applied directly on top, still obtaining a perfect result.
Transparent epoxy resin
Typically, the resin is colorless and transparent. Specifically, when we talk about transparent epoxy resin we refer to a particular thermosetting polymer (component B) which acts by cold reaction.
This type of epoxy resin does not require special equipment and is used in many areas.
Despite having a crystalline appearance, it still fails to have the same shine as glass or water.
Here are the most common applications of clear epoxy:
- swimming pool coating: thanks to its incredible resistance to chemical detergents and chlorine, it is also used to coat pools and toilet facilities
- finishing of industrial floors, in order to increase the mechanical resistance of the floor which must withstand heavy loads (e.g. machinery)
- floors and walls in the house
- welding of all kinds of materials (wood, iron, aluminum, glass, concrete …)
- waterproofing, for example of terraces and attics
- vitrify surfaces: tables, fabrics, prints….
- artistic creations
Colored epoxy resin
Many applications require the use of this colored material. How to do it then?
Let us state immediately that paints containing water must be absolutely avoided, as the water content can mean that the resin does not harden completely.
“Dry” dyes (powders or sand) are fine, as long as they are perfectly dry.
In the case of pastel or liquid colors, first of all it is necessary to check that they are compatible with epoxy resins and, if they are not, use a maximum of a few drops. An excessive dosage could in fact compromise the mechanics of the resin and its gloss.
In any case, always buy high quality products.
Epoxy resin and wood
Epoxy resin is often used to seal wooden components. And it turns out to be perfect for this purpose. The surface becomes waterproof and is completely sealed.
Epoxy resin on what does not attack
Works on virtually any surface. He does not like dust.
Where to buy
It is found in most home improvement stores, specialty stores and of course online. As with any product, by now, purchasing epoxy on the Internet remains the cheapest.
Is it toxic?
It is not toxic, but direct skin contact can cause topical allergies and irritation.
Here are a number of steps to take while using this material:
- work in well-ventilated areas
- use a respiratory mask with filter
- protect your eyes with safety glasses
- wear nitrile gloves
- wear a protective suit or, failing that, long-sleeved clothing
Is it waterproof?
It is absolutely waterproof after hardening. And it remains so even after several years, as long as there are no cracks caused by strong vibrations.
You might also be interested in these articles
- Resin, the material of the future: merits and uses
- Fiberglass, all applications from DIY to design to industry
- How to choose i garden tables in wood, plastic, iron, rattan and resin
- Guide to choosing resin cabinets for exteriors and interiors
- Guide to choosing resin sanitary ware, let’s find out its advantages and properties compared to ceramics
- Advice on choosing the resin floor based on my experience
- The resin splash guard in the kitchen it is an alternative choice to the tile