It’s not new that I love the cactus and succulents for quite some time now, and everything about them interests me and I’m passionate about them. In this case the idea of making a terrarium hovered around my head but still did not encourage me, I like that the plants are outdoors, but this tutorial of ehow in English changed my mind.
The succulent plants do not require much maintenance, that is why it is easy to make this type of decorations as terrariums inside the home. In addition they bring warmth and naturalness to the environments. You can place it as a central decorative element, in a library, as a centerpiece or hang them outside.
It is necessary to take into account some very basic care so that they survive that will not complicate your rhythm of life at all. Later I’ll tell you some tips so that your succulent terrarium stay as cute as when you do it.
- A glass container with a large hole (keep in mind that the container has a wide mouth so as not to generate too much humidity in the plants, succulents can live in drier environments).
- Little stones
- Activated carbon
- Earth for cactus
- Small adornments (optional)
- Fine tip brush (optional)
Step by step to make terrariums of succulents
- Choose a container with a big mouth, it can be one like the one in the images or some other design like round fishbowls. You can recycle and use some element such as vases, jars or old disused crockery.
- Place a layer of pebbles on the bottom of the container of about one and a half centimeters. This will help drain the terrarium.
- Spread a thin layer of activated charcoal on the pebbles, this will help prevent fungus from forming.
- Place a generous layer of cactus soil on top of the coal. This layer must be large enough to plant the succulents, the roots must be completely covered. I recommend special soil for cactus because it contains a percentage of sand that makes it more permeable. If you don’t get it, mix soil, compost and coarse sand.
- Remove succulents from pots and carefully loosen roots.
- Make little pots in the soil and plant the succulents in each of them and complete with soil adding it with the help of a spoon. The upper plants look better in the back and the lower ones in the front, so that they can all show off.
- Place pieces of moss to fill the empty spaces.
- Complete the decoration with pebbles or some small element that you like and that is not ruined by moisture.
- With the help of a fine and dry brush clean any dirt from the succulents. Make sure the brush is soft as you can remove the natural bloom from the leaves of the plants. The bloom is that kind of whitish wax that has some succulents and protects them from the sun’s rays.
- To place the terrarium in a place where it receives a lot of light and sun, not so much in the moments of more heat, remembers that if it is behind a glass of a window, plus the glass of the terrarium, they would make a magnifying glass that would burn the plants.
- Spray on the plants once a week without flooding the soil, keep in mind that the terrarium has no drainage holes.
You can see all the step by step to make a terrarium of succulents in the next video.
I hope you like this tutorial on how to make a terrarium of succulents and encourage you to do so…