Are you thinking of installing a fireplace at home? If you have doubts about choosing the most suitable for your home, we show you below that there are options for all tastes and needs.
History and evolution of the chimney
Since the origins of Western culture homes have had a burning flame in the center of the house. In the early periods the chimneys consisted of holes in the ground where fire was made to warm up. later invented a grill system that made the fire last longer.
– Sponsor –
The relationship between fire and home has been disappearing little by little. as the need for heat and light has been met by simpler and safer solutions. Anyway the fire still has a relaxing and hypnotic effect on people.
The chimneys have been evolving a lot in recent times. Of large dimensions that generated enough waste and occupy a lot of space to portable models that can be controlled from a computer or mobile.
Today a chimney has become more of an edecorative and designer cemento. It’s an element that invites to the meeting creating a warm and comfortable.
You might be interested in reading: More comfort at home this winter with biochimneys.
This is undoubtedly about the traditional fireplacethe one who’s been with us the longest. It is a heat source that does not depend on electrical energy, as it only needs wood to provide heat. They are still installed today, but they are less common in urban dwellings.
- This type of chimney is what generate more heat.
- It is a heating system that has evolved to offer higher quality, performance and safety.
- In addition fuel is economical and biodegradable.
However, it has several drawbacks:
- Generates a lot of waste mostly ashes.
- Space to store firewood.
- The temperature is difficult to regulate.
- It’s necessary a smoke outlet.
- Fire needs attention to keep it alive and to avoid accidents.
- Low energy efficiency, as much of the heat is lost through the shot.
- Requires work to install the chimney.
- These problems can be solved with the placement of door, heat regulators and draught. Currently most of the fireplaces that are installed are of cassette type.
This type of chimney is widespread in Europe but in our country remain a little unknown.
Advantages of gas fireplaces:
- Its operation is so simple with the fires of the kitchens and can also use the same gas.
- They do not generate waste, smoke or odours and take up little space..
- They’re efficientand are adjustable.
- Your installation needs skilled labour.
- To be able to install them it is necessary to be connected to a gas supply (natural, propane, butane).
- They’re more expensive than a wood fireplace and their fuel too.
- The flames are simulated and they’re always the same. There are models that have fans to move them. Ceramic firewood can be added for greater realism.
This type of chimney along with the wood and gas chimney is that it has real fire.
- Bioethane is a fuel obtained from carbohydrate materials, so it is not necessary to use bioethane. its combustion is clean.
- Its emission is not harmful, so it is not necessary to install a shot.
- It is a great alternative to gas and firewood fireplaces because as they are produce real flames. In addition they have a good performance, since the heat generated stays in the room and is not wasted by the shot.
- No installation required. They can be placed anywhere, hung on the wall, or on a piece of furniture.
Pellet fireplaces generate a pleasant thermal comfort.
- The springs are small pressed pieces of sawdust, it is a eco-friendly and efficient fuel energetically.
- They produce a high heat output and waste is minimal.
- Some models have thermostats and are programmable.
- You need a smoke vent and a point of light since it needs electricity to light the flame and dose the pellets.
- It is more recommendable for reduced spaces.
An electric chimney serves as a heating supportbut they are false, they imitate fire, wood and ashes well. Does it serve to warm us up? Yes, but to a lesser extent than one of the previous models. You can reach heating the same as an electric radiator. A curious anecdote is that you can enjoy the animation without turning on the heating.
One of the main advantages of this type of chimneys is that they are 100% safe. Not having flames does not generate waste, doesn’t need fuel or maintenance. As it is connected to the electrical network and if a home automation system is implemented at home, it can be operated from a computer, mobile phone…
You may be interested in reading: Decorative and original fireplaces for your home.
What did you think of this guide to the different types of fireplaces that can be found on the market? I hope it has helped you to choose the most suitable for your home.
– Sponsor –