To make the most of outdoor spaces, there is nothing better than nice, comfortable cushions. They are great allies for decorating the terrace, as they provide comfort, warmth and joy.
Fill your terrace or garden with cushions this spring!
The main mission of the cushions is give comfort to outdoor furnitureto achieve greater comfort. A sofa or armchair is much more comfortable with a cushion in the seat or back. There are models for all types of furniture: for a bench, pallets, loungers, create a chill out corner…
– sponsor –
You have to take into account that they exercise several functions on the one hand they have to be comfortable and practical and on the other hand you have to have a nice design to decorate. During the spring and summer months outdoor spaces take on a central role and they become the favorite places to enjoy the good weather. That’s why it’s important decorate and dress them properly.
You might want to read: Do you know how to choose the best fabric for your cushions?
What conditions must the cushions meet?
The cushions must meet essential requirements.
- Comfort, resistance and decoration are the essential objectives of these functional and decorative accessories.
- They are composed of specialty fabrics to withstand the weather, sun exposure, wind and the passage of time.
- If you opt for outdoor cushions made of cotton or linen, you must bear in mind that they must be protected from the sun, as the colours may become discoloured.
- Choose removable models so they can be easily washed in the washing machine.
- There are in the market Cotton fabrics with special treatments to better resist UV rays.
- It is important to look for the characteristics on the label. Especially if you’re going to be exposed to the sun.
- Outdoor cushions made to measure. You have the option of choosing models with specific fabrics and with the measures adapted to your furniture. The seats are usually rectangular or square.
- The thickness of the cushion you will depend on their needs and preferences. The most important thing is the density of the foam and that it does not sink too deeply.
Special fabrics for outdoor use
Types of outdoor cushion fabrics and their fillings should resist the direct action of the sun without losing colour or deforming. They must also resist moisture and anti-fungal treatments are recommended. The most common fabrics are:
- Acrylics. They are composed of artificial textile fibre derived from petroleum products. These fabrics are durable and easy to maintain. Their colours are UV resistant and durable. They are quite waterproof, but it is more advisable that when there is a storm, they are put under cover to extend their life.
- PVC. Strong, waterproof and easy to clean outdoor fabric. It has a wide range of colours and prints to decorate outdoor areas.
- Waterproof marine vinylA fabric that is normally used outdoors. They are characterized by their durability and resistance. They are totally waterproof and therefore do not sweat and this can be a disadvantage in the summer months as it can encourage perspiration.
- Textile. This fabric is composed of vinyl mesh in PVC-coated yarn. Resistant to sun, humidity, water, mildew and climate changes.
Another important factor in providing comfort to the cushions is the foam of the filling. You can find different intensities, the most used are 20kg/m3, 25kg/m3. The higher the density, the harder the cushion. It has a disadvantage, is that they contain pores, therefore retain water. So it is advisable to use a waterproof fabric.
The wadding fillings is an excellent solution, because it drains the water and doesn’t retain it. Therefore it dries faster than other materials, although they are not as soft as foam. It is advisable to use fabrics that allow water to pass through or that are not 100% waterproof like textilene, so that if they get wet they dry quickly.
How many cushions are needed? How to combine them?
No need to fill a couch with cushions, because it can be uncomfortable, due to the lack of sitting space. One cushion is enough for an armchair. In a two-seater sofa, you can even put two or four cushions on each side. If it is a longer model, you can choose to put two in the central area, as well as add them at the ends.
How do you combine the cushions? You have several options:
- Choose one neutral basis that allows for various combinations that you can modify at any time.
- Another option is to choose a coloured base where the same shades predominate but with different prints.
- Stamped base. Stick to the plain models and use one or two maximum colors.
- Combination of smooth and stamped. It is recommended that smooth outdoor fabrics predominate and to animate the decoration with some print. Keep in mind that the decoration of outdoor spaces is more informal and striking.
You may be interested in: The keys to combining cushions and hitting the bull’s-eye.
What do you think of these tips for choosing and combining outdoor cushions? They are the perfect complements to give comfort and warmth to the terrace, the garden…
– sponsor –