The floor of the house can lift or break over time. But what are the causes of this uplift? The reasons can be different, from poor floor laying, to leaking pipes or temperature changes. Find out how to solve the problem and return to having resistant and aesthetically perfect floors.
THE floors in a home they are a very important business card. They illuminate the environment, make domestic spaces welcoming is give a touch of style to our homes. It can happen, however, that with the passage of time, but it is not the only cause, that the floors can lift and break.
How to intervene in these circumstances? What can we do to prevent this from happening? What are the causes and what are the remedies? We will try to answer these simple questions in the following article.
Because the tiles are raised
Have you ever had to deal with a broken floor? This is undoubtedly not a pleasant experience. It can happen in many different ways and in many different moments. Imagine for example a cold winter night, while you are snuggled under the warmth of the blankets of your bed and suddenly witness a real explosion. Start with a simple crunch barely noticeable and turns into a roar.
Read also: Covering the terrace floor: modern ideas and ideas
In addition to the ensuing fright, imagine the amazement of discovering that your floor literally exploded. Broken and raised tiles and rubble around the house. It really is an unpleasant experience. But what is the cause of this explosion?
The causes can be different, some are structural in nature, others are instead attributable to incorrect installation of the tiles. But let’s analyze in detail the causes of lifting the floor.
The causes independent of the installation process of the floor are to be attributed in general to some structural problems. but let’s see what it is.
- Humidity. One of the most common causes for floor lifting is moisture. Indeed, an excessive presence of humidity and condensation in the house can lead to temperature changes which in the long run affect the seal of the floor.
- Too heavy furniture. Another possible cause for floor breakage is excessive weight. For example, a very heavy piece of furniture, such as a cupboard with plates and crockery, can cause the tiles to break in the long run.
- Water leaks in the house. Another very common cause of lifting tiles can be a loss of water in the house. A broken water line or drain can cause extensive damage to the floors in your home.
You may be interested in: Natural remedies to get rid of woodworms in wooden furniture
Errors in installation
Very common causes of floor lifting are to be found instead in the bad installation of the floor. Among the most frequent causes are the following.
- Glue used. The quality of the glue used can affect the seal of the floor. A glue too hard or too soft or for example the formation of air bubbles over time it leads to the lifting of the floor.
- Wrong sized joints. Too narrow joints do not allow the expansion of the floor during thermal changes and in the long run it leads to the breaking or lifting of the floor.
- Tile quality. Obviously, the quality of the tiles used also affects the seal of the floor. In fact, poor quality materials can break down in the long run.
- Too quick use of the floor. Between the laying of the tiles and their use there must be a technical time to prevent them from moving or breaking. If these rules have not been respected after installation, it is possible that the floor may break.
- Problems relating to the screed. A thickness that is too small or a screed that is not leveled well in the long run can affect the seal of the floor.
Do you have problems with plants? Join the group
How to remedy the lifting of the floor
After analyzing what they can be the causes of lifting of the floor, let’s see how proceed to solve the problem.
- Site inspection. The first thing it does is assess the type of damage and the cause that produced the uplift. Following this assessment, you can decide how to proceed.
- Marginal damage. If the damage is marginal and has not produced major breakages, you can clean the affected area and replace the tiles damaged.
- Important damage. In this case, however, it is appropriate proceed with a total makeover of the floor. Obviously, even in this case, it is necessary to understand what was the cause of the breakage or lifting.
Refurbishment of the floor
As we have said previously, it is advisable to first identify the causes of the lifting and eliminate the trigger. For example, if the break is due to a loss of water, the fault must first be repaired and then the floor must be rebuilt.
It goes without saying that you need to rely on professionals experts who know how to identify the causes of the lifting and subsequently are able to carry out a correct installation of the new floor.
Choose quality products for the new floor that are able to withstand the passage of time. In business exist many innovative products which are not only resistant, but also aesthetically appealing.
Causes and remedies for lifting the floor: photos and pictures
Over time and for various reasons, the floor can be raised. Browse the gallery and find out how to proceed in case of breakage or lifting of the floor.